Sunday, July 17, 2011

frugality

As I prepare for a major life change, which will include a move and less available finances, I'm spending inordinate amounts of time searching the web for information - DIY, recipes, etc. Anything that will allow me to spend less money as well as provide teaching opportunities to my young son. 


Just this week we've found two bread recipes we like (my son previously would eat only one type of bread - the price of which went from $2.50 a loaf to $4.69 a loaf in the past month). 


Today I'm going to purchase supplies for homemade yogurt in a crock pot. (organic milk and yogurt starter) I've been researching this choice for awhile now, but after paying $10 yesterday for yogurt that will last us four days, I've finally decided to move forward with the plan. 


My goals? spend less money (and time) shopping. Spend more time with my son. Be as local and sustainable as possible. I'm joining the game a little late compared to many of my friends, but that allows me the opportunity to learn from them (and skip potentially costly mistakes they made).


The irony? As I search the web for DIY tips, I find NUMEROUS books. Volumes - written by other frugal people. And I have to wonder, how many people have BOUGHT these books (rather than trade or borrow from the library). Each of the people whose books I found truly interesting have sold enough books that they have left their former employers (mostly corporate curmudgeons). 


I find it interesting that people buy these books whose lesson is to inform people how to not waste money - essentially saying 'here's a book to tell you that you were stupid to waste your money buying this book.' 


Of course, the books do provide many many tips that will save enough money to 'repay' yourself for buying the book, but a small amount of research would also show that most of the good authors also have free blogs - that contain all of the information contained in their books. 


....

No comments:

Post a Comment